May 8, 2019 Bulletin
DIGITAL EDITION No. 315 May 1, 24, 2019 EDITOR: Layne Bowen PHOTOGRAPHER: Nicole Le PUBLISHER: Richard Lazovick
Our Program For Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Rotary Club of Santa Rosa Will Present Grants to
Five Deserving Local non-Profits
Moderator – Mark Burchill
The Rotary Club of Santa Rosa will present grants to five deserving local non-profits, including The LIME Foundation, the Santa Rosa Symphony Educational Programing, Chop’s Teen Club, Salvation Army, and the Community Support Network.
We will spend a few minutes with the leaders of each organization, learning how our contributions help improve the lives of residents of our area. The leaders include: Letitia Hanke of the LIME Foundation; Ben Taylor, Director of Development, for the Santa Rosa Symphony; Lorez Bailey, Executive Director of the Chop’s Teen Club; and Rio Ray, Captain, from the Salvation Army.
Wednesday May 23, 2019: Science Education In Sonoma County
Pledge: Ray Giampaoli
Reflection: Carmen Sinigiani told us some tax jokes.
Richard Lazovick reported there were none.
Andrew Young, our scholarship recipient and Chris Rogers, our guest speaker.
Ginny Cannon said all is sunny.
Robby Fouts had $250 Yankee dollars in the pot. Doug Johnson, with a pile of tickets, had his number drawn but failed to draw the winning marble.
- Peter Lescure needs volunteers to help out at club meetings.
- Steve Marburger needs exhibitors at Giro Bello.
- Yale Abrams – Redwood Empire Food Bank 9 to noon on Saturday, July 20th.
- Ray Giampaoli still needs sponsors. We’re $12K short of our goal!
Tony TRI matching funds announcements
The Club will match all members donations of at least $100 to the Rotary International Annual Fund through June 30, 2019. For those club members that are close to a Paul Harris, this is your chance to get to the finish line at only half the cost!
Cathy’s a Clown
But not this week!
Senegal Global Grant
Carolyn Fassi announced that the Senegal Global Grant to prevent cervical cancer has been approved. Our club was the first in our district to join in this project. Over $200,000 was approved.
Steve Olson presented Andrew Young with the John Brown Veterans Memorial Scholarship. He s a Navy vet has been deployed to the Persian Gulf and South China Sea. Andrew will be transferring to Sonoma State in the fall.
Steve Baime was selected as Rotarian of the Month for April for all his work on Giro Bello and the Scholarship Committee.)
Vicki Hardcastle told us about recognition her teacher daughter received for her Room 23 News. Vicki’s daughter arranged with Brandon Crawford’s wife for autographed baseball cards from Giants players to be given to her 4th grade class. In honor of her daughter, Vicki donated $100 to our local Foundation with half going to the John Brown Veteran’s Scholarship.
Marnie Goldschlag introduced SR Vice Mayor Chris Rogers who gave the club an update on the City of SR.
- Fiscal sustainability. City reserves went from 19% down to 5% with the 2017 fires. Now we’re back up to 19% due to strategic investment.
- Recovering/rebuilding. Currently 64% of homes destroyed in the fire are under reconstruction currently. The city has worked to speed up the permit process by contracting additional personnel for the approval process.
- Housing. A number of new policies are being developed to speed up building and encouraging infill such as increasing granny units.
- Homelessness. While homeless people are still quite visible in our city, the numbers are down from over 4,000 to just over 3,000 in Sonoma County this year. Just under 2,000 of those are in Santa Rosa. More programs are being developed to make further positive impacts.
- Climate action on a local level such as a goal to be 100% renewable energy.
Chris then took the time to answer a number of questions relating mostly to the 5 items listed above.
Chris mentioned a very useful App for getting help with services in santa Rosa. The MySantaRosa app is no longer available. It is replaced by the following website: https://srcity.org/MySantaRosa
Governor, District 5130
Barb Spangler, Valley of the Moon Rotary Club
Debi Zaft P.O. Box 505 Santa Rosa, CA 95402
Board of Directors
Club Service I, Membership, Ryan Thomas
Club Service II, Club Meetings, Jeff Kolin
Club Service III, Fundraising, Steve Baime
Club Service IV, Member Activities, Anne Gospe
Club Service V, Information Technology and Records, Brandon Urich
Community Service I, Member Involvement, Andrea Geary
Community Service II, Youth, Laura Held
Vocational Service, Carolyn Fassi
International Service, Peter Holewinski