October 19, 2016 Bulletin
DIGITAL EDITION No. 197 October 19, 2016 EDITOR: Layne Bowen PHOTOGRAPHER: Diane Moresi PUBLISHER: Richard Lazovick
Our Program for October 26th:
–> Meeting @ St Rose <–
CITY COUNCIL CANDIDATES FORUM
Facilitated By: Bill Rousseau
The full hour on October 26th will be devoted to a panel of candidates for Santa Rosa City Council. Facilitated by our own Bill Rousseau, the format of this forum will be a Q & A. Our guests will include Julie Combs, Ernesto Olivares, Chris Rogers, Don Taylor and Jack Tibbetts.
Please submit your questions in advance to email@example.com
Wednesday October 26: City Council Candidates Forum – MTG @ St Rose !
Wednesday November 2: Middle East Refugee Crisis
Wednesday November 9: Veterans Program (CLUB IS DARK)
Wednesday November 16: SRJC International Students – CCI Program
Kris Anderson shared a prayer being mindful of her father who is in the hospital in St. Helena.
No visitors were present today from other Rotary Clubs.
Today, we had two guests: Los Barron from Sonoma State University was a guest of Shari Shamsavari . Our other guest was today’s speaker, sommelier Debra Del Fiorintino.
Cathy shared a groaner with the crowd, today. Fortunately, it wasn’t a long one……
Robby announced there was a whopping $19.00 in the raffle today. Blaine Goodwin struck out but still managed to leave with more than half the pot.
EL PRESIDENTIAL PROCLAMATIONS
El Presidente reminded us to contribute our change to the little Polio Buckets located on each table. He also reminded us to purchase squares for the Instant Paul Harris. He also shared some statistics regarding attracting and maintaining membership. Fred Levin is still selling tickets to the upcoming Veteran’s Program on November 9th at the veterans Building. Tickets are $15.00 and this event will replace our regular weekly meeting.
Layne Bowen made one last announcement regarding the backyard Michael Capella Band concert he is hosting on Sunday, the 23rd at his home from 1-4pm. All Rotarians are welcome to attend. There is no charge, just a suggested donation of $10.00 to help pay for snacks and drinks that will be provided.
Kris Anderson announced that Rotary Means Business will meet at Fundemonium on November 3rd from 5:30 to 7:30PM.
Matt Fannin thanked all Rotarians who volunteered to serve beer at the YMCA Golf Tournament last Friday.
- El Presidente recognized Past President Doug for his recent trip to Tandil, Argentina to help start a New Gen Peace Program in that country and his hard work on a global grant. Doug avoided “finage” by presenting El Presidente with some Argentinian honey. How sweet! Also, El Presidente shared that he and Past President Doug attended the Foundation Dinner Friday night where Doug received the Governor’s Award for Excellence.
- Mark Burchill paid $50 for Doug’s introducing Rotary Means Business to Argentina, which up to this point has had no members.
- Matt Fannin was recognized for organizing volunteers for the golf tournament.
- Tim Delaney shared his experience in working his way through the city permit process for upgrading his new house in Larkfield. For this he donated $100 to his Paul Harris.
- Cathy Vicini donated $50 to the local foundation for her own remodeling experience involving a $12,000 joint. (Sounds like something from a Cheech and Chong movie, doesn’t it?)
- Bob Higgs shared his hunting experience with his son and grandson. Bob then donated $25 to the club.
- Finally, Kathy Schwartz was recognized for her efforts with New Gen, The Laguna project and other involvement where needed. For this, she was selected as Rotarian of the Month!
El Presidente’s PowerPoint
Sommelier, Debra del Fiorintino was our guest speaker today. With the help of Cathy Vicini who provided two vintages of her Trecini pinot noir, our club got some hands on experience in “wine tasting”. Debra, an experienced wine judge shared her expertise on the nuances of wine tasting, teaching us how to swirl, sniff and taste fine wine. She discussed the different aspects of the wine industry and introduced us to terms such as “suitcase cloning” and “terroir”. We compared the 2013 vintage of Trecini pinot with the 2014 vintage. Debra helped us understand the differences we were tasting. Most in the room seemed to prefer the 2014 version. The apparent reason for the difference was that 2014 was a dry year.
Thanks to both Debra for her expertise and Cathy for her donation of her fine pinot for this excellent program.
Thanks to all those who helped at today’s meeting:
Greeter: Mikki Cardoza
Lunch Ticket Taker: Kathy Schwartz
Lunch Ticket Sellers: John Poremba and Peggy Sobranis
Raffle Seller: Robby Fouts
Sergeant at Arms: Debi Zaft and Los Barron
“Men are like wine – some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age”, by Pope John XXIII
Rotary Club of Santa Rosa Officers
President: Jose Guillen, President Elect: Julia Parranto, President Elect Nominee: Tony Roehrick, Past President: Doug Johnson, Secretary: Debi Zaft, Treasurer: Cecil G. Humes, Sergeant at Arms: Jack Geary
President Rotary International
John F. Germ, member of the Rotary Club Of Chattanooga, Tennessee
Governor, District 5130
Wulff A. Reinhold, Sr. member of the Rotary Club of Rohnert Park – Cotati
Debi Zaft P.O. Box 505 Santa Rosa, CA 95402 707-538-4770
Board of Directors
Kathleen Archer, Jack Atkin, Gesine Franchetti, Ray Giampaoli, Will Haymaker, Elizabeth Karbousky, Steve Marburger, Jackie McMillan, Diane Moresi